Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tasteful Tiles


Sorry for the delay in getting this post up….the holiday weekend was a fun and festive time with family and friends and I’m just now getting back into design mode! This week I thought I’d dish out a few of my favorite inexpensive tiles that can take any room from drab to fab.  As I’ve been blogging, a beautiful room doesn’t have to cost a lot of money.  Of course the million dollar mansion is stunning, but budget conscious spaces can be just as WOW!  I remember my mother always told me, it’s not the price of the item, but how you wear it.  She was referring to fashion, but the same holds true in design.

Tiles are usually a big ticket item for bathroom and kitchen renovations.  I mean you can find tiles that range well into the hundreds per square foot.  Yes, that’s right, over $100 a square foot, and yes, some of them are backed with gold or platinum!  But I’m going to introduce you to tiles that are well within the price range for budget friendly designs.


            Subway tile
A tile as simple as a white 3x6 can be elegant, classic and timeless.  One of the favorites among designers, subway tiles can be as inexpensive as $1/tile, depending on the manufacturer and color. Again, I remind you, it doesn’t always matter the brand name, just the finished look.  Get creative….try running it vertical or laying a stack bond instead of the traditional running bond.  The design options are endless!


  
            
            Decorative cement tile
This is one of my favorite tiles to use since I’ve moved to Denver.  You can find these at many places online, but we always source them from a company in Texas.  They are handmade in Mexico and can be made in any color under the sun! Depending on the number of colors used, these tiles can be as inexpensive as $3.25/tile.  The only downside is lead time.  If you have the time and can order a couple of months in advance, then these tiles can add a little pop to any space, modern or traditional.



            Porcelain tiles
Porcelain tiles have come a long way.   Depending on manufacturer, style and size they can range from $2 to $18.  What I love about these tiles is that you can get large tiles ranging from 20x20 to 24x24 for around $8/sq.ft.  Try finding that in stone!  Another thing to love about porcelain is that they can be textured and used for wall or floor applications.  It is extremely durable and can be used both inside and out, so for continuity in design, it can be very cost efficient option.  



In my experience, if you shop around, you’ll have better luck finding tiles priced within your range.  Also, don’t be afraid to shop online.  I’ve had great luck sourcing stone mosaics for a great price online compared to local showrooms.  Make sure to order samples and do your research on the company to make sure they are reputable, but if you’re on a tight budget, don’t be so quick to dismiss the online deals! 

If you have inexpensive tile options that you love or manufactures that you’ve found with great prices, please leave me a comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment