Top 5 Ways to Freshen up your room
As an interior designer in Denver, I meet many clients that aren’t looking for a major renovation of their home, but instead need help with freshening up their existing spaces. It may be a room, or several rooms in the home, regardless of the scale most people want to know how to reuse or reinvent what they have.
Here are 5 ways to freshen up your home without a hefty pricetag:
- Accessories are key!! Keep what you have and accessorize. Go light, don’t over do it, but pops of throw pillows, vases and art work can breathe new life into your home. They can also be easily changed out without spending a lot.
- Paint color can take a space from drab to fab. We all know that painting the walls can reinvent a room, but try painting or staining cabinets or existing furniture. Something as simple as color can make it seem like a brand new piece.
- Variety brings life to the party! Whether you’re refinishing your existing pieces or bringing in new ones, make sure to add interest by variety. Similar textures can appear dull, break up the monotony with pattern and material, regardless of the tone and color. A white room can be striking and elegant with the right use of textures.
- Lighten up! Lighting can be an expensive purchase item, but changing something as simple as the shade can reenergize that fixture. You can change the fabric of an existing shade, add trim or purchase a whole new one.
- Good bones = reupholster! If your cabinet boxes are in good condition, you would reuse them and change out the fronts. Well, the same is true of furniture. Most furniture is in good condition and can be salvaged. New fabric and a good upholsterer can make an old piece look totally different. You can tuft, you can untuft, more cushioning or less, trim-welt vs. flange, so many options with something you already own!